More Bad NewsAccording to the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau, the average worker’s claims last longer than any other state in the nation. The report stated that over 60 percent of claimants are paid thirty-three percent longer than in other states. In most states, it takes eleven years to settle most indemnity claims, as compared to about five years in Florida.
Common Types of California Workers’ Compensation ClaimsSixty percent of workplace injuries are back related. On average (State), over 92 workers lost their lives in 2016 in Oklahoma, which is down slightly from 2015, but still very high. Thirty-two percent of the deaths involved transportation accidents. Here are the tops causes of loss categories:
- Slip and fall
- Hit by object
Proven Ways to Manage Your Business’s Workers’ Compensation RisksMany proven best practices if implemented will help you in managing your workers’ compensation risk. A little work up front will help reduce workplace accidents and injuries.
- Develop a set of safety rules and enforce them.
- Complete random drug testing as the law allows.
- Make sure all employees have proper safety equipment.
- Institute a safety committee and allow employees to manage the process.
- Investigate each accident and report findings to the safety committee and management.
- Develop progressive discipline for those who violate safety rules.
- Work with OSHA to make sure your business maintains complete compliance.
- Ask your broker to provide assistance.
- Look to your workers’ compensation insurer for resources.
- Encourage the review and reporting on unsafe practices.
- Provide annual training for all employees.
- Ask your insurer for regular claim review meetings to discuss open claims.
- Institute an award program for an accident-free month or for new safety ideas.
- Create a new employee orientation program where all safety procedures are outlined.
Top Workers’ Compensation Insurers
- State Compensation Insurance Fund
- Zurich Insurance Group
- Travelers Group
- Hartford Fire and Casualty Group
- Berkshire Hathaway Group
- Straight Workers’ Compensation– This is the most common type of program. Under this plan, you select an insurer based on their rates and discounts provided.
- Deductible or Self-Insurance Options – This is like regular workers’ compensation but you are allowed to self-fund certain portions of your workers’ compensation coverage. There is considerable more financial review under these options.
- Association Plans – Many associations offer workers’ compensation programs that are driven by above average loss ratios or safety programs. These association plans provide additional resources like safety training and even claims management.
- Captive Programs – Captives are designed for large employers and allow businesses to self-fund their workers’ compensation exposure through the forming of an insurance company.